On the 4th of August 1920 Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High opened its doors.
The first Principal was Miss Norma Burns. 71 Girls were enrolled and there were 6 teachers, all of them unmarried as married women could not teach. This was to be the first High School for girls in the city.
Before this girls had to attend one of the church affiliated schools as the powers that be did not prioritise girls education as they did boys (Pietermaritzburg Boys later to become Maritzburg College was established in 1863) women were already ruled by the patriarchy. A beautiful old home “Morningside” was purchased to house the new girls’ school. It later became the hostel.
Over the last 101 years GHS has seen many thousands of young women educated to take their rightful place in society. Many wonderful teachers have taught them. On this auspicious day and in this Women’s Month, let us remember our founding women who took this school forward over the last 101 years to make it the fine Girls’ School that it is.
Designed in the style of Sir Herbert Baker, the new school building was opened in 1925 and remains the heart of the school despite the many additions that have taken place over the years. The original red-brick building, which faces Alexandra Road, has been declared a National Monument.
Today, GHS is a leading high school providing education to over 1 100 girls. The day scholar complement makes up the larger section of the school community and boarding facilities are available.
More on GHS: