Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School was originally housed in a Victorian-style family mansion, Morningside, which was the home of Peter and Mary Davis.
Education for women during this period was not common and the founders of the school were uncertain of its viability. However, as the number of girls continued to grow, a bigger and better school building was needed. Designed in the style of Sir Herbert Baker, the new school building was opened in 1925 and remains the heart of the school despite the many additions that have taken place over the years.
The original red-brick building, which faces Alexandra Road, has been declared a National Monument.